<< January 2019 >> 
 Mo  Tu  We  Th  Fr  Sa  Su 
   1  2  3  4  5  6
  7  8  910111213


ICT Department

The ICT department has four teaching staff and two technicians.  In addition, we make use of the technical expertise in other departments to ensure that our facilities are used to their maximum.  We have a total of eight networked suites and two networked Apple Mac suites. In addition to this, students have access to more than 150 laptop computers for in class learning, each containing the most up to date hardware and software available to us.


Every pupil in years 8 to 10 will receive one practical lesson per week.  The schemes of work are designed to allow pupils to develop the skills necessary to maximise the use of ICT in other subject areas and to make the transition into GCSE ICT easily. Year 8 ICT is delivered as part of the base teaching programme, allowing pupils a better understanding of ICT as a cross-curricular area. Over the course of the three years pupils will experience the following topics:

  1. Windows operating environment
  2. Word processing
  3. Databases
  4. Spreadsheets
  5. Computer modelling
  6. Computer control
  7. Use of the Internet and e-mail
  8. Desk Top Publishing
  9. Multimedia presentations
  10. Web page design

GCSE pupils have the option of selecting ICT as one of their GCSE subjects.  This course, introduced in September 2001 has proved extremely popular with six classes in the current Year 11 and Year 12.  Sixty percent (60%) of the overall grade is based on coursework; pupils complete six tasks over the two years.  Two examinations at the end of Year 12 contribute the remaining 40%. 

Pupils can also choose to follow the Award in Digital Application (AiDA).  This course, introduced in September 2007, is suited to students who wish to gain a good general foundation in ICT.  The qualification is 100% coursework and the grade will be based on a portfolio of work submitted by the student.


We are very proud of the fact that our department offers three different qualifications for sixth form students.  Any pupil wishing to study ICT in sixth form will find that one of the three courses meets their individual needs.

  • AS/A2 ICT is a two year course leading to an A level qualification for those students who have an interest in pursuing a third level course in ICT or Computer Science. 
  • AS/A2 in Applied ICT, is a two-year vocational course.  This course would suit students who prefer a more practically based qualification. 
  • The OCR Level 2 National Certificate in ICT is a one-year course leading to an award that is the equivalent of four GCSEs.  This is suited to students who wish to gain a good foundation in ICT or who may need a bridge between GCSE and A Level and was introduced in September 2007 as a direct replacement for the intermediate GNVQ in ICT.
ICT Supporting Learning and Teaching

De La Salle College is a college where pupils are encouraged to use Information and Communication Technology (ICT) to support them in their learning.  There are plenty of opportunities to use ICT with many subject teachers integrating the technology into their lessons. In addition the pupils are encouraged to use the ICT facilities at the after college homework club as well as at the lunchtime club. 

To support this usage there is a C2k network of 360 computers which runs throughout the college. Every room has a cluster of computers with access to the internet as well as a host of curriculum support materials for use by pupils. 

The new building has provided an opportunity to create an ICT rich environment where there will be clusters of wireless laptops provided for the use of the pupils as well as a number of ICT suites.  Pupils will be able to access Learning NI which is an online learning environment provided.  Teachers will be provided with a tablet wireless PC which in effect will be a teaching and learning pod.  This will allow them to bring a huge range of resources electronically to the classroom as well as carry out administration tasks.  Throughout the new building there will be an electronic information system displaying up-to-date information on college events to plasma screens situated around the college.

Other ICT resources include scanners, digital cameras and videos together with interactive whiteboards.  This investment in ICT has laid the foundation of ICT usage for the 21st century. The college will continue to embrace the technology to enhance the learning and teaching which takes place.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 24 August 2010 18:30